Monday, January 12, 2009

To Market, to Market...



Caleb and I walked to the market the other day to buy fruit. On our way home we passed a flower vendor, and I stopped to pick up a bunch of china roses for the table. While I was fumbling in my pocket for small bills (the whole bunch was 15,000 dong or just under a dollar), Caleb started playing with the little white nets protecting the chrysanthemum heads. I pulled him away before he decapitated most of the merchandise and apologized. Vendors are usually very protective of their goods. Once when Caleb fingered a bunch of grapes, the vendor scowled and looked like she was a hairsbreadth away from smacking him. I intervened in time, but I avoid that stall now when I have Caleb with me. His fingers are just too itchy.

I was relieved, then, when the flower vendor laughed and plucked a shabby looking chrysanthemum stem for Caleb to take home. He is very proud of his flower. We put it in a bud vase and he carried it around the house for a day or so. The flower watched tv with Caleb, sat on the table while he ate lunch, waited on the shelf while he napped, and even went into the bath with him before bedtime. For all that wear, the hideous thing is still looking surprisingly healthy. Maybe chrysanthemums were created for three-year-olds.

1 comment:

  1. that's hilarious! love it! :) glad he's enjoying that little flower. you'll have to keep us posted on how it holds up. :)

    ReplyDelete