Tuesday, October 14, 2008

More Birthday News




Here are a couple of the promised pictures. If you want to see more, check out the slide show on the right. In spite of the fact that it was so hot the chocolate frosting ran into the white and the red trim kept wanting to fall off, Caleb was happy with his cake. By the way, decorating a cake in the tropics is no easy matter. I could only do it in ten minute increments before the frosting got too soft and runny. Then I had to stuff the whole mess in the fridge for twenty minutes before I could start again. Fortunately, I've learned from experience to leave a whole day for such a process and the cake was finished well in time for the party. Caleb's reaction made the ordeal worthwhile. His excitement was contagious.

Unfortunately, that's not the only thing that was contagious. We caught Caleb on video tape licking the cake topper and sticking it back on top of the frosting. A day or so later Daniel and I both came down with Caleb's runny nose and watery eyes. My guess is that we're not the only ones.

Now that we are several days post-birthday, life is back to routine. I'm still getting used to having a three-year-old, but the transition obviously does not seem so momentous to Caleb. I said to him this morning with a hug and much enthusiasm, "Caleb, you're three years old!" He replied, "Yeah, I know that" and went back to watching his morning cartoon. I guess we're already on to bigger and better things.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - that is quite the birthday cake (and I will be contacting you next year for help with the twins' bday cakes - ha!)! I'm glad to hear you all are back to being healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but I did make sure to snap the photo from the cake's best side. I'm not sure you want one of my clumsy cakes, but it would be fun to help with a double birthday bash. How exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete